In order for a lowest score or scores to be dropped from a student's grades, each relevant item in the Grade Center must be assigned to a specific Category. For instance, if you want to drop the lowest Quiz grade from a selection of 5 quizzes, you must put all 5 quiz columns into the Quiz Category. You can use Blackboard's categories or you may create your own (Click on Manage, then Categories). Once you have put the columns into the appropriate category you need to create/modify your Total Column. You may use either a regular Total Column or a Weighted Total Column.
- Create the column by clicking on Create Column/Create Calculated Column. Modify the Total/Weighted Total Column by clicking on Edit Column Information from the column header options (see Fig. 1).
Fig. 1, Edit column information
- In Section 3, choose Selected Columns and Categories.
- Then, select the columns and categories you wish to total. It may be a single category or it may be a combination of columns and categories. Click the arrow to move the items to the box on the right (see Fig. 2).
Fig. 2, Categories to select
- Fill in the percentages (if applicable) that each column/category are worth.
- Enter how many of the lowest grades you would like to drop (see Fig. 3).
Fig. 3, Dropping lowest grades
- Make sure to set the rest of the options for the column. Click the Submit button.