Option 1: Inline feedback and grading (without downloading attachments)
- Go to the Grade Center area of your Control Panel. Click Grade Center.
- Click Full Grade Center.
- If any of your students have submitted an assignment that needs to be graded, a will appear in the column for that assignment.
- Hover, with your mouse, over the first student’s assignment cell, with an icon , that you would like to grade. You will then see an icon - click on this icon. Then click on View Grade Details.
- To view the assignment that the student has submitted, look to the right hand side of the screen. Click Grade Attempt.
- A preview of the assignment appears on the left-hand side of the screen.
Note: this preview only works for attachments in .DOC, .DOCX, .PPT, .PPTX, .XLS, .XLSX, and .PDF formats. .XLS and .XLSX attachments that contain macros may not display correctly.
- To leave inline feedback on the assignment, without leaving your browser, click the button at the top of the document preview. Several options appear for providing feedback on the document. See Fig 1, below.
- Fig. 1, Comment bar displaying commenting and markup tool.
- Use the various commenting tools to provide feedback to your student.
Comment allows 3 types of comments:
- Point comment creates a mark (or point) on the document and links a comment to it.
- Area comment draws a rectangle on the document and links a comment to it.
- Highlight comment highlights text and links a comment to it.
- Draw allows you to draw freeform on the document.
- Highlight allows you to highlight passages of text.
- Text allows you to superimpose text onto a document (different from the Comment tools above)
- Strikeout allows you to draw a line (signifying deletion) through text.
- Comment allows 3 types of comments:
- To the right, find the Grade field, and type a point value grade into the field. The total points possible for the assignment are displayed for reference.
- Click Submit. The student now has access to the feedback you provided.
Option 2: Grading by downloading attachments (one at at time or as a .zip file)
One at a time:
- Follow steps 1-5 of Option 1 above.
- When the document preview appears, find and click the Download button to download a copy of the assignment submission.
- If you wish to provide feedback for your student, annotate and save a copy of the assignment on your computer.
- In the Grader Feedback panel of the assignment preview, click the Attachment button and then click Browse My Computer to upload the local copy you just saved.
- Click Submit. Your student will now have access to the annotated attachment you provided.
As a .zip file:
If an assignment has been submitted using the Assignment tool in Blackboard, instructors are able to download all of the student files at one time into a zip folder through the Grade Center.
- In the Grade Center, look for the assignment column from which you want to download all the student files.
- At the top of that column you will see an icon . Click on this and choose Assignment File Download.
- Choose either the specific documents that you would like to download or, choose the small square at the top that will Select All.
- Click Submit.
- Click the link that says Download Assignments Now.
- A dialog box will open asking you where you would like to save the files. Either save to your computer or open the .zip folder with all of the files in it to view.
Option 3: Recording scores (if you have already reviewed the student’s submitted work)
To leave just a grade:
- Go to the Evaluation area of your Control Panel of your course site. Click on the Grade Center.
- Find the column for the assignment you need to grade.
- Click once on the cell where you want to input the grade. (This cell will either show a – or will show an icon.)
- Enter the desired grade.
To leave grades, add general comments, or upload copies of papers with remarks and annotations:
- In the Full Grade Center, locate the cell for the student's attempt and mouse over it.
- From the drop-down menu for that cell, choose View Grade Details
- Click the Manual Override tab
- Enter the grade in the Override Grade field.
- Optionally add general comments in the Feedback to User text field.
- If you wish to upload a copy of their paper with inline comments, click the paperclip icon in the Feedback to User text field and attach the paper.
- Click the Save button on the bottom of the page
You may use the arrows next to user and column to move between users and assignments without having to go back to the Full Grade Center.
- Click Enter to move to the next cell down.