What is an ePortfolio?
Modified on: Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:12 PM
What is an e-Portfolio?
A digital collection of authentic and diverse evidence
- Drawn from a larger archive of work
- Represents what a person or organization has learned over time and through reflection
- Designed for presentation to one or more audiences
- Can contain written assignments, artwork, software, web pages, performances, video, almost anything
Types of e-Portfolios
E-resume –Present information to potential employers. This is the most common
Assessment - Relate evidence within the e-Portfolio to performance standards defined by an instructor, institution or an accrediting body
Teaching - Document teaching effectiveness, experiences for
pre service teachers, graduate students, faculty members for promotion
Learning/Personal Development - Document, guide, and advance
learning over time or display skills in curricular or extra curricular
activities which can be reflected on, and outcomes of that reflection,
including plans for future development
What do students do in an e-Portfolio?
Collect- a diverse, multi-media set of items that represent learning and experience over time
Reflect - on curricular, co-curricular, and non-curricular experiences and accomplishments to integrate and enhance learning
Select - subsets to represent different aspects of their identities and experiences
Connect - with multiple audiences across multiple contexts for communication, sharing, and feedback
How to start using e-Portfolios
Here are some ideas for using e-Portfolios. Be aware that
e-Portfolios are highly customized for different uses and departmental
needs. We will work with you to create a solution for you and your
- Goals – What are the Learning Goals/standards used? What do you want students to show you?
- Structure – How to set it up?
- Technology – what are the best tools to use? OSP, web pages?
- Audience – Who will this be for?
- Uses – How many different uses will there be?
- Curriculum Review (programs only)
Did you find it helpful?
Can you please tell us how we can improve this article?