The Announcements tool is the default homepage for your course. This
tool allows you to post a message to students, which they see
immediately upon logging into your course site. It's a great way to make
students aware of changes in the course schedule and to provide
To create a new announcement, do the following:
- Login to your Blackboard course site. Announcements is the default
homepage for your course site, so you should see a list of existing
announcements, or a message saying, "No Announcements found."
Note: If you have changed the default homepage for your course site, you will need to click the Announcements tool link from the Course Navigation.
- In the upper-right corner of the Blackboard window, find the Create Announcement button
and click it. The Create Announcement page will display.
- In the Subject field, type a subject for your Announcement.
- In the Message field, type the text of your Announcement. You can use the Visual Text Editor (see Fig. 1) to format your text as you type it.
Fig. 1, Formatting options available in the Visual Text Editor.
- Under Web Announcement Options, choose either Not Date Restricted or Date Restricted.
- If you choose Not Date Restricted, the Announcement will be permanent. This is recommended if you would like to keep a record of your Announcements throughout the course.
- If you choose Date Restricted, then you must also specify the range of dates/times during which the Announcement will be available. Use the form fields to indicate when the Announcement becomes available and when it should expire (see Fig. 2). You must select the check boxes for Display After and Display Until for the dates/times in those fields to be applied.
Fig. 2, Date Restriction settings, important check boxes highlighted in red
- If you would like your students to receive an email notifying them of this new Announcement, click the Override User Notification Settings check box. Students will receive a truncated snippet of your Announcement via email, and the full Announcement will also be available on the Announcements page.
- In the Course Link section, you can include a link to a
specific Content Area, folder, or Discussion Board forum. To include
such a link, do the following:
- Click the Browse button next to the Location field. A pop-up window will appear, displaying an outline of your course site.
- In the outline, click the resource you wish to link to. The pop-up window will close.
- Review your settings for this Announcement, and click Submit.