Before starting, make sure you have a vbid (Virtual Bookshelf ID number) for your textbook. If you do not have a vbid, please check with Lisa Montgomery (email@example.com) from the Mizzou Store.
- From your Canvas site click the Modules button in the course navigation menu.
- In the Modules page click the + button to the right of an existing module.
- In the dialog box that appears, choose External Tool from the Add dropdown menu.
- Choose Bookshelf in the tool list that appears.
- The URL field should display https://bc.vitalsource.com/books/. Enter the vbid after the trailing backslash (e.g. vbid = 9876543210987. URL = https://bc.vitalsource.com/books/9876543210987). Consider copying and pasting the vbid to avoid typos. vbids may contain letters, numbers, and hyphens.
NOTE If you cannot see the URL field and the remainder of the dialog box expand it by dragging the lower right corner or use the outermost scrollbar to scroll down.
Fig. 1: External Tool dialog box.
- Enter the book title in the Page Name field. Consider a short title, for instance Judicial Process or Carp & Stidham 10e instead of Judicial Process in America, 10th Edition. We recommend that you name the link in a way consistent with your usage in course documents such as the syllabus.
- Checking the box for Load in a new tab is optional. If it is not checked, it will appear inside of Canvas, which will restrict the space allowed for the text and illustrations. It also presents a more cluttered look that may be distracting for some students. Launching it in a new tab provides a less cluttered look and maximizes the screen real estate available to the book.
- The first time you link a textbook you will need to accept the Terms and Privacy agreement and will be asked to log into VitalSource or register with your email address and create a password. Normally your email address should be your campus account, though it is not required. The password should not be the same one you use to login to campus systems.
NOTE Trulaske College of Business instructors will see two VitalSource Bookshelf tools in the External Tools Menu: Bookshelf and ExecMBA Bookshelf. Only courses in the ExecMBA program should select the ExecMBA Bookshelf tool.
If you encounter technical difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.