Creating a Turnitin Feedback Studio Assignment in Canvas
Modified on: Tue, May 22, 2018 at 3:28 PM
- Click on Assignments in the Navigation Menu.
- Click the +Assignment button.
- Fill in the Assignment Name and the description, which is a good place for instructions.
- Set the Points Possible.
- We recommend leaving Display Grade as set to points.
- In the Submission Type section select External Tool from the dropdown menu (see, Fig. 1)
Fig, 1, external tool menu.
- Click in the Box labeled External Tool URL to open the Configure External Tool dialog/menu box. Scroll down and click Turnitin Feedback Studio, then click Select.
- Check Load this tool in a new tab.
- External Tool URL field when it is blank will open the Configure External Tool dialog at right.
- After selecting Turnitin in the Configure External Tool dialog, the External Tool URL field will display a URL.
- Under Assign either choose Everyone, a specific section, or specific students. Set Due Dates and Availability dates as desired. These may be added or edited later.
- Click Save or Save & Publish. The former will save the assignments, but will not release it to students, even if the availability dates have been set. The latter will save it and make it available to students, subject to any dates you may have set for the assignment, and add it to the Syllabus and Calendar.
- At this point, you have created the framework for the assignment in Canvas, but you will most likely want to edit the settings specific to Turnitin. You should have a link to a Turnitin page appearing; click on that. (If this does not appear, or if you want to go back and edit these settings later, return to Assignments in the Navigation menu, click on the assignment, then click on Load in New Window.)
- Click on the menu icon (three lines) at the upper right of the page and choose Settings (see, Fig. 2).
Fig. 2, Turnitin Feedback Studio settings
- Change the Max Grade setting from 100 to whatever you chose in step 4 above. This will avoid problems later with the Canvas grade book.
- Make sure that the start and due dates correspond to what you set in Canvas.
If you did not set dates, they will be automatically set for an eight-date duration starting the evening before you created the assignment. If you wish to have feedback released to students prior to the due date, you will also want to set the "Feedback release date."
- If you choose to allow any file type, students may submit files, including graphics, that Turnitin may not be able to check.
- Click on Options Settings to expand that section.
- Change any settings you desire, then click submit. If you plan to use this for drafts and final submissions, you may wish to set "Submissions to this assignment will be stored in" to "Do not store the submitted papers." This will not affect the checking of papers, but will ensure that the final version does not show as plagiarized from one of the drafts. For more information on these settings see http://guides.turnitin.com/03_Integrations/Learning_Tools_Interoperability_(LTI)/03_LTI_Instructor_User_Manual/01_Turnitin_Assignment
- Click Submit.
Did you find it helpful?
Can you please tell us how we can improve this article?