Note: If you have not set up a grading scheme for your course, please see How do I enable a grading scheme for a course? (Canvas Guide for Instructors) before proceeding.
STEP 1: Verifying correct grades
- Enter scores for every cell in the grade book ensuring that no cells are left blank.
- Enter a 0 (zero) for any student who did not complete an assessment.
- Enter a EX (for exempt) for any student who is exempted from an assessment.
- Any columns that are completely blank should be either deleted, or removed from the final grade calculation
- Verify that Mute Assignment is OFF.
- Verify that Treat Ungraded as 0 is OFF.
Note: Failure to follow the steps above will result in incorrect grades based on running totals being sent to MyZou.
STEP 2: Syncing Canvas grades with MyZou
- Verify that your students' final grades appear correctly in the Total column. If you prefer to do your grading in Excel and upload final scores to Canvas, see: Uploading final grades from an Excel file.
- From the grade book view click the Gear icon on the top, right corner of the spreadsheet.
- Select Sync Grades to SIS from the dropdown menu (See, Fig. 1a and 1b).
Fig. 1a, Sync grades to SIS (myZou) in the current Canvas grade book
Fig. 1b. Sync grades to SIS (myZou) in the "new" Canvas grade book
- Click the Sync grades to SIS button (See, Fig. 2).
Fig. 2, Grade Syncing page.
- Click OK in the confirmation dialog (See, Fig. 3).
Fig. 3, Sync grades confirmation box.
- When the text reads Synced, you are ready to finish things up on the MyZou side (See, Fig. 4). Proceed to STEP 3 below.
Fig. 4, Grade Syncing
STEP 3: Submitting final grades in myZou
- Browse to https://myzou.missouri.edu.
- Log in with your PawPrint ID and password.
- From the Main Menu, click Self Service > Faculty Center > Grade Roster. (See, Fig. 5).
Fig. 5, Choosing the Grade Roster
- Click the get grades from canvas button (See, Fig. 6)
Fig. 6, Getting grades from Canvas
- The Roster Grade column will populate with grades from the Canvas Total column (See, Fig. 7).
Fig. 7, The Roster Grade Column populated with letter grades.
- Confirm the grades for each student in the Roster Grade column. You may change any grade in this column from the pull-down menu next to the letter grade.
- Click the Save button on the lower right side of the page.
- When satisfied with the appearance of the roster, change the Approval Status dropdown menu to Approved (See, Fig. 8).
Fig. 8, Select Approved in the Approval Status menu.
- Click Save again to save the approved grades.
- If you have additional sections to import, click the Change Section button to return to the list of rosters and repeat from step 2, above. Because Canvas has already exported all of the grades for the whole course site, you do not need to repeat the steps in Submitting Final Grades (Canvas Side), unless each section has a different grading scheme (e.g., one is an undergrad section and the other is a graduate section).